Tuesday, October 13, 2015

My First Day as an Intern

This blog assignment came from Mrs. Kallas's blog which you can view here.



What a fun day it was for the first day of my internship! For my first year internship, I have been placed at Walker Creek Elementary in a kindergarten classroom, and I could not be more excited about this year! I got the great opportunity to have Mrs. Darden as my mentor teacher this year, whom has been teaching for 10 years as of this year. Click here to view Mrs. Darden's web page. 



Mrs. Darden



First Day: 
     For my first day going to the classroom, I prepared myself by creating an "About Me" poster that I could use to introduce to the students. As I designed my poster, I prepared myself to answer a variety of Kindergarten questions. At my field site, I wore jeans, Converse, and my 3/4 sleeve Education and Training intern shirt. I made sure to look professional, however not too fancy for my first impression. When I arrived at my classroom I was feeling very nervous, for I had not met any of my students, nor my mentor teacher before. I was scared to find out what my little kindergarten class would think of me. When I  walked in, I introduced myself for about five minutes and used my poster to share a little about me, and like I had guessed, I was asked many random questions, as well as told random facts.

    After I introduced myself, I helped the students do a fun activity based on the book they were read, "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?". After they finished their activity, they had explore time, giving myself a chance to sit and talk to my mentor teacher. Thankful for this opportunity, I got to introduce myself to Mrs. Darden, and we got a chance to get to know each other a little better. When I left my classroom, I was upset that it was already time for me to go, yet I was filled with joy and excitement for this coming Thursday that I get to go back, as well as the whole year ahead. One thing that I am most excited to do this year, is to get to know each of the sweet little kindergartners in my class. After being with them for only one day, I could already tell that they are extremely bright and sweet, and I can't wait to form closer relationships with each of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment