Monday, September 26, 2016

My First Day as an Intern

This blog prompt came from Mrs.Kallas's blog, which you can view here.

For my second year of interning, I am interning at Walker Creek Elementary, with Mrs. Lacey. Click here to view Mrs. Lacey's webpage. Mrs. Lacey has been teaching for twenty one years. 


Mrs. Lacey

Here is a silly picture of my sister Emily and I before we
went into Walker Creek and met our new field site classes!

  This year, I decided to intern with a first grade class, instead of kindergarten. During the time interval that I am at my field site, the class is learning mathematics.

    I am extremely excited to get to know my new students this year, and to watch them grow individually. Since I moved from kindergarten to first grade, it has been so exciting to see how much information the students already know, compared to last year. Before my first day, I edited and made some changes to my introduction poster from last year, and emailed my field site teacher, to ensure she knew that she was expecting me. I wore jeans, converse, and a red tank top with my button down Education and Training shirt over it. I brought my introduction poster for the first day. When I walked into my classroom, I was extremely excited to meet my class, and see which students I had from the year before. I was also a little nervous to meet them, and introduce myself to a class of about eighteen students. During my first week at my field site, I gave my introduction, using my About Me poster, and then I helped with a mathematics addition lesson. Surprisingly, I also got the opportunity to work individually with a few students in the hallway. This makes me extremely excited for this upcoming year, because I know that I will get a ton of experience through teaching lessons and individual work.
This is a picture of me in my field site classroom.


So far, this year has been extremely different than last year. Last year, since it was my first year, I sat at a table for the first few days to observe the classroom. This year, however, I started working one on one with students the first day that I was there! Almost every day that I go to field sites, I go in the hallway with two or three of my students to assist them. Since I am interning at the same school, and have many of the same students, this year's experience has been similar to last years, however it is different because I am doing an older grade. The students are already so much more mature than last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment